ai generated, street, road-8378486.jpg

Filing a Tax Return in Canada: Required Information and Key Dates


Filing a tax return is an essential responsibility for individuals living in Canada. It ensures compliance with the tax laws and allows you to report your income, claim deductions, and receive any applicable tax credits or benefits. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the necessary information and key dates for filing a tax return in Canada. From understanding your residency status to gathering the required documents, we will cover everything you need to know to successfully navigate the tax filing process.

Determining Your Residency Status

Before diving into the specifics of filing a tax return, it is crucial to determine your residency status for income tax purposes. Most international students completing a degree in Canada on a study permit are considered residents of Canada for income tax purposes. However, taxes are based on an individual’s specific circumstances. Therefore, it is essential to consider the significance of your residential ties to Canada and determine your residency status before submitting an income tax return.

Key Dates for Filing a Tax Return

To ensure timely filing, it is important to be aware of the key dates for the tax season. The tax year in Canada runs from January to December, and the deadline to file an income tax return is April 30 of the year after. However, if the deadline falls on a weekend or a public holiday, the deadline is extended to the next business day. It’s important to note that if you or your spouse or common-law partner are self-employed, the deadline to file your taxes is extended to June 15. However, any taxes owed must still be paid by the April 30 deadline.

Required Documents for Filing a Tax Return

To effectively complete your tax return, you will need to gather specific documents. These documents include:

  1. Social Insurance Number (SIN) or Individual Tax Number (ITN): You will need a SIN or an ITN to file your tax return. If you are not eligible for a SIN, you can obtain an ITN by completing Form T1261: Application for a Canada Revenue Agency Individual Tax Number (ITN) for Non-Residents.
  2. Income Tax Slips: You will need income tax slips such as T4 or T4A, which reflect your employment income, scholarships, awards, grants, or bursaries. If you worked for the university, you can access your T4 from the respective platform. Additionally, you may receive interest tax slips like T3 or T5 from financial institutions, indicating any income earned from investments or savings.
  3. Tuition Receipt T2202A: This receipt identifies the number of months you attended university and the tuition you paid. You can find your tuition receipt on your educational institution’s online portal.
  4. Donation Receipts: If you made donations to Canadian charities, gather the donation receipts to claim the corresponding tax credits.
  5. Medical Receipts: If you incurred out-of-pocket medical expenses, including prescription medications and medical services not covered by insurance, retain the receipts for potential deductions.
  6. Rent Receipts: If you rented a property, you may be eligible for rent-related tax benefits. Keep rent receipts from your landlord to support your claims.
  7. Correspondence from the CRA: If you have filed taxes in Canada before, ensure you have any correspondence from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), including your past notices of assessments.

Reporting Income and Claiming Deductions

When completing your tax return, it is crucial to accurately report your income and claim any eligible deductions and credits. Here are some key considerations:

Reporting Income

You must report all sources of income, including:

  • Employment Income: Report all income earned from employment, including wages, salaries, tips, and commissions.
  • Scholarships and Awards: Report any scholarships, fellowships, or bursaries received.
  • Investment Income: Include income earned from investments such as interest, dividends, and capital gains.
  • Self-Employment Income: If you are self-employed, report your business income and any associated expenses.
  • Other Income: Report any other income sources, such as rental income or income from freelance work.

Claiming Deductions and Credits

To reduce your taxable income and potentially receive a refund, consider claiming the following deductions and credits:

  • Pension and Retirement Contributions: Deduct the amount you contributed to pension plans or registered retirement savings plans (RRSPs).
  • Union and Professional Dues: Deduct the dues paid to professional associations or labor unions.
  • Child Care Expenses: If you incurred child care expenses, you may be eligible for deductions or credits.
  • Moving Expenses: If you moved for work purposes, certain moving expenses may be deductible.
  • Tuition and Education Credits: Claim eligible tuition fees and education amounts to reduce your taxable income.
  • Medical Expenses: Deduct eligible out-of-pocket medical expenses not covered by insurance.
  • Charitable Donations: Claim tax credits for donations made to registered Canadian charities.

Filing Options and Resources

When it comes to filing your tax return, you have several options available:

  1. Tax Preparation Software: Utilize tax preparation software approved by the CRA to complete and submit your tax return electronically. The CRA website provides a list of recommended software options.
  2. Professional Tax Preparers: Seek assistance from an income tax professional or accountant to ensure accurate and efficient filing. Ensure they have experience filing tax returns for international students.
  3. Volunteer Programs: Take advantage of free tax clinics, such as the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP), where volunteers can assist with completing your tax return.
  4. Campus Resources: Check if your educational institution offers tax filing assistance programs or clinics. These resources are often available to students and can provide guidance in completing your tax return.
  5. Online Resources: Access the Government of Canada’s website for comprehensive information on tax filing, including guides and FAQs.

After Filing Your Tax Return

After filing your tax return, you will receive a notice of assessment from the CRA. Review this document carefully, as it outlines any taxes owed or refunds due. Keep all correspondence from the CRA in a safe place for future reference.

Once you have filed at least one tax return, received a notice of assessment, and have a valid SIN, you can create a MyAccount on the CRA website. This account allows you to receive electronic correspondence from the CRA, set up direct deposit for refunds or benefits, and update your personal information.

Tax Benefits for Residents

Residents of Canada may be eligible for various tax benefits, including:

  • GST/HST Credit: This credit helps offset the Goods and Services Tax (GST) or Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) paid on purchases. You can apply for this credit when filing your tax return.
  • Ontario Trillium Benefit: This benefit assists individuals with low or modest incomes in offsetting Ontario sales tax on goods and Ontario property tax or rent paid.
  • Canada Child Benefit: Eligible families receive a tax-free monthly payment to help with the cost of raising children under 18.

To explore all available tax benefits, visit the CRA website for a comprehensive overview based on your specific situation.

Missing the Tax Filing Deadline

If you miss the tax filing deadline, you can still submit a late income tax return. However, be aware that there may be daily interest charges and penalties for any outstanding taxes owed to the government. It is crucial to file your tax return as soon as possible to avoid further complications.


Filing a tax return in Canada is a necessary process that ensures compliance with tax laws and allows you to take advantage of available deductions and credits. By understanding your residency status, gathering the required documents, and accurately reporting your income, you can navigate the tax filing process with ease. Utilize the available resources and filing options to streamline the process and maximize your tax benefits. Remember to file your tax return on time to avoid any penalties or interest charges. Taking these steps will help you fulfill your tax obligations and make the most of your financial situation.

For all your Accounting and Tax needs you can contact BOMCAS Canada Accounting and Tax Services today for all your accounting and tax needs